Religious buildings

The Wars of Religion hit Nîmes hard. The religious buildings of the period bear the scars of the fighting between Protestants and Catholics.

A- / A+

Religious buildings

The Cathedral

Consecrated in 1096, the cathedral of Notre Dame and Saint Castor has been modified on many occasions over the centuries. The upper frieze is considered to be a major example of Romanesque sculpture in the South of France.

The acanthus and lion head motifs on the pediment and the cornice were inspired by the Maison Carrée.

Place aux Herbes
Locate on the map


St Paul's church

This Romano-Byzantine style church was built in the nineteenth century. 

The frescoes in the choir are by Hippolyte Flandrin.

Boulevard Victor Hugo
Locate on the map


The Grand Temple

Before being used by the reformed church from 1792 onwards, the early eighteenth century building was the Dominican convent church. The facade was modified in the nineteenth century.

Place du Grand Temple
Locate on the map


The Petit Temple

Completed in 1718, the Ursuline convent church was transferred to the Protestant church in 1795. Remarkable 1750 carved walnut organ case.

Rue du Grand Couvent
Locate on the map


The Chapelle des Jésuites

This harmoniously-proportioned late seventeenth century building is a listed historical monument. Restored in 1985, it is now used for exhibitions and cultural events.

Grand Rue
Locate on the map


St Dominique's church

Designed in 1964/65 by Joseph Massota of Nîmes, the architecture of St Dominique's refers to Christian symbolism (with the shape of the boat of Peter) and regional culture (the Camargue cross).

Avenue Bir Hakeim
Locate on the map


Chapelle Sainte Eugénie

First mentioned in 956, St Eugenia's chapel is the oldest religious building in Nîmes. 

A barrel vault with radial arches and four twelfth century tombstones in the floor are reminders of its medieval origin. The front of the building, inspired by Romanesque art, was rebuilt in cement in the nineteenth century. A powder store during the Wars of Religion and a billiard table workshop from 1792 to 1876, the chapel recovered its religious function in 1877.

Rue Ste Eugénie
Locate on the map